Sunday, October 3, 2010

Magazines to inspire....

I haven't been able to write on my blog lately.  Too much back-to-school stuff with my kids, catching up on paperwork ignored over the summer and following an e-course (Blogging Your Way) with Holly Becker  of decor8blog.  

Anyway I was recently on Holly's blog and read her post House Beautiful + Expat Thoughts on Decorating 
 For her, House Beautiful is the go-to magazine to see  American- style  interiors and decorating trends now that she lives as an ex-pat  in Germany.  It's also a kind of way to lessen her occasional homesickness for the U.S.  At least that's what I read into it....
 
I thought it would be interesting to make it a kind of conversation.... Hopefully Holly will read this and hopefully you will read my posting as well as hers.... So here are my go-to magazines.  I keep every issue of each of these subscriptions because I find them to be such great references and each time I look I find something new that I missed the last time.   If only I had saved all my Domino and Blueprint issues as well!!   These magazines  are also great when I've been so immersed in day-to-day living and forget to give myself some to time to do some of my own thinking, day-dreaming and creating.  They somehow push me along and get me motivated.

Top of my list:
World of Interiors





World of Interiors covers a wide variety of subjects. Not just Modern Design- Design throughout the Ages.  I've  gotten color palettes, discovered artists and architects and even inspiration for  great craft ideas from this magazine.  Sometimes an old issue will feel totally "new".  I hope that isn't the alzheimers speaking!!  

Next on my list: Milk Magazine  This is a French magazine about Children's fashion which I love but what really caught my eye is their attention paid to interiors.  There is almost always a section on somebody's living space  and the interiors are so creative, homey and effortless looking to me.   Something to aspire to!
.


The magazine is great for inspiration and ideas. Now I just have to follow through and create a room like this for my girls!

Lastly, after  BluePrint and Domino folded I had to find some sort of replacement and Living Etc.
is filling that gap.



Can you guess who is on the front cover???  I love this magazine. It's the British point of view which is also effortless, creative and quirky at the same time.
They also have a fun blog you might want to check out http://lifestyleetc.co.uk/

What are your favorite magazines?   Are there some that bring you back to earth or maybe away from it ? Make you think about different ways of doing and seeing things?  Inspire you and boost up your spirits?

 Hope this gave you some ideas as well.  Time to run off to bed. I tired!
xo Suzanne

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for the good ideas. I am always on the hunt for good magazines, esp. when I travel. I love having a magazine in my purse in case I have to wait around unexpectedly for something or someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through the blogging your way course, so I thought I'd say hi! :)

    Thanks for the magazine tips. I really miss the plethora of magazines from 5 years ago. I'll be checking these out asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne- wonderful images and stories- thank you for your great eye and generosity!! I like your stream on Turquoise- a favorite color/presence...miss you these days! xo,mary ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm doing a mad dash through the BYW forums and finally saw that you posted a comment in the "questions for leslie" regarding my question on time management. I was hoping things got a little better as the kids get older (mine are 3 and5), but they don't?

    Boy am I feeling overwhelmed post BYW! Just wanted to come and say hello. These are two of my favorite magazines as well. Unfortunately, Milk is extremely difficult to obtain where I live and Ebay prices are usually over the top for a mom on a budget like me. I do sometimes splurge on Marie Claire Idees because it is jam-packed with so much visual and crafting inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog through the blogging your way course, so I thought I'd say hi! :)

    Thanks for the magazine tips. I really miss the plethora of magazines from 5 years ago. I'll be checking these out asap!

    ReplyDelete