Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A New Fabric Store in NYC. You Should be On Pins and Needles!!

Last week I posted a list of my favorite fabric, ribbon, button, notions and yarn stores in New York. A big thanks to Monica at Monica Lee Studios! After reading my post she suggested I check out a new store that had somehow slipped my radar  Pins and Needles.

 Here's a quick view:
multix4

 The website is packed with  photos of  a simple, white, (and dare I say cheerful) new store that  opened on the Upper East Side in December 2010. By luck and/or coincidence  the store was hosting a book signing party the next  day for the new Oliver +s book.  I couldn't wait to run up there and check it out!

At the door, I was greeted by Rachel Low , the store owner  and expert.  The space was even better "in person" and it was filled with a lovely crowd of her clientele.   I knew nobody there but instantly felt welcome and comfortable.   A sure sign is when you bring a 6 yr old with you and she instantly has a few playmates to hang with while I went through all the gorgeous merchandise!!  I could already sense a budding community of DIY'ers in the store.

To give you an idea of what is offered, here are just some of the fabrics :

 purple bluex3

And another color story:
pink x3


Rachel has created an assortment with a ready-to-wear slant as well as notions by Clover and wonderful, creative books. 

An array of Sewing Classes that covers everything from sewing, embroidery, needlepoint and quilting to re-purposing a tired sweater is offered.  Equally as impressive and exciting is that a lot of her clientele reflects the new trend in handmade.... The  average age of her students  is  7  yrs to 13 yrs old!    I'm not sure if that was in the business plan, but  that's something everyone would wish for in their first 4 months of business!
Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
Click image for more info
I had a wonderful time meeting Rachel and hanging  out at her store. As an added bonus that Saturday I also met Liesl Gibson  (Founder and Chief Designer of oliver +s ) and her adorable daughter for the  book signing and sale of her new book ;  Oliver + S Little Things to Sew.  I can't wait to make some of the projects in her book and my daughter can't wait for me to cut out the little paper dolls and clothing.   But more on that later!!!

Thank you Rachel for providing such a beautiful space, sumptuous merchandise and a friendly atmosphere where all will feel welcome.  I look forward to visiting again soon!

For more information be sure to visit the Pins and Needles website and blog.

If you think I am missing any other stores feel free to comment and send suggestions.  I love the hunt!!

xo CP



Pins and Needles
1045 Lexington Ave., at E. 75th St.
2nd floor
phone: 212.535.6222

Store Hours:
  • Mondays: 1-5pm
  • Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 11 - 6pm
  • Thursdays: 11- 7 pm
  • Saturdays: 10:30- 5pm
  • Sundays: By appointment only

2 comments :

  1. oh I wish there would be a shop like this here in Amsterdam...
    This looks and sounds like heaven, crafty, creative heaven...
    lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It looks perfect, and I'm always looking for great new fabric sources.

    P.S. I've been having fun reading through your blog!

    ReplyDelete