Monday, January 24, 2011

Detroit - In Ruins

Ok... There is nothing crafty or cute about this but these photos are so beautiful.  Akin to the Ruins in Rome only these are of the (late) 20th Century kind.  I am from a suburb of Detroit so I grew up seeing some of this happen... Detroit was at one time a healthy, bustling, sophisticated city. Whenever I try to describe it to someone I compare it to Beirut.... I discovered this  book The Detroit Ruins  photographs by Yves Marchand and Romain Maffre.  Here are examples of their photography from the book:

Michigan Central Station

Denist Office David Broderick Tower

National Bank of Detroit  aka NBD

William Livingstone House



Atrium Farwell Building

3 comments :

  1. I know they have an eerie, beautiful quality but these make me sad. I went to grad school in Ann Arbor and did my internship in Detroit. It needs saving badly.
    Best,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an incredible book called Beirut's memory and it has this exact same feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an incredible book called Beirut's memory and it has this exact same feel.

    ReplyDelete