Monday, June 21, 2010

Laura's Alice in Wonderland Birthday Party Celebration

Over the weekend we celebrated  my daughter's 10th birthday party chez nous. We planned it around an Alice in Wonderland tea party theme.... She asked her friends to dress up as their favorite character and most girls were either Alice or the Red Queen.  For decoration   I started with the table. We covered it with a white tablecloth and then used a big frog and little rabbits as the centerpiece. I found the frogs, rabbits, ribbon and other things in the Flower District at  JamaliGardens. I also scattered little bits of candy wrapped in a playing card motif (partycity.com)  and pieces from our chess set.   I think Fresh flowers would have been nice to add some color but next time!

Mexican cut outs were hung over the table  and we  posted big playing cards on the front door  from www.partycity.com








After eating pigs in blankets and sliders  the girls went to the craft table and  got themselves busy putting on tattoos. These particular tattoos could be colored in.    After that I found a really cool idea  on this blog A Field Journal: Merrie May (see her creation below left)   I thought the kids could have fun making their own little cornet to hold a  bunch of flowers (Ikea $1.59 each) to put on their bedroom door.  Here are some examples of what the kids came up with....
The inspiration



What some of the girls came up with....



I'm not really one for this type of thing but the piece de resistance was the Barbie cake made by my friend Paulette http://sugarlovingfashionista.blogspot.com/ (amazing pastry chef) The cake was exactly what Laura wanted.  Our Barbie version of the White Queen...

The White Queen in all her glittering glory!
It was also a fab conversation piece . Every body wanted to see how I was going to cut the thing.... which was interesting and it got especially hairy when I got to the one legged part of Barbie... apparently 2 legs does something weird to the cake  so Paulette had to remove one leg.  Everybody wanted to see the inside of the cake....
Barbie cake

And not for nuthin' but that cake was moist and delish!! Wish my kid had preferred chocolate but oh well.  The kids seemed to have a great time and each one left with a little goodie bag filled with a mini deck of cards, mini teapot and some candies in a pretty little bag


Enough about this birthday- I gotta get planning the next one for this weekend!!



3 comments :

  1. I LOVE all the details you did for the party, true story. That was my kind of party.
    Very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very dear Suzanne. Laura must be feeling very celebrated.
    ~shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very dear Suzanne. Laura must be feeling very celebrated.
    ~shelly

    ReplyDelete